This is one of those internet meme things that do the rounds from time to time; this one’s currently being tagged all over Facebook. However, I thought I’d post it here too, just for the hell of it. I’m in a sharing kinda mood…
Rules: Once you’ve been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you.
So, here goes:
1) I have a rock from the Grand Canyon sitting on the window ledge in my bathroom, beside a piece of pottery from the floor of Clark Kent’s barn. I didn’t go to the Grand Canyon to find that rock, but I did go to Smallville to find that pottery.
2) I came within inches of being decapitated by a milk float in 1995. What a ridiculous way to die that would have been. Thank God I ducked!
3) My grandfather was a Russian Cossack.
4) A long-distant relative on my mother’s side was one of the witches hung at Pendle Hill in Lancashire. (Allegedly. According to our family genealogy, another ancestor used to be a court jester. I’m not sure if I believe either.)
5) When I’m on my deathbed and I think back to the happiest day of my life, there will be so many of them to revisit that I think I will be on my deathbed for quite a while.
6) I’ve had a very, very charmed life and I bloody know it.
7) Musician Neil Finn once named a stomp rocket after me: “I christen this one HMS Jayne!” I’m quietly proud.
8 ) I have many sekrit identities on the internet and only two people on Facebook are aware of them. Shhh, guys.
9) I was once propositioned by an American cop named Thomas C Taylor Jr who wouldn’t let me handle his weapon, even though the safety was on. That was the first gun I ever saw in real life.
10) The second gun I ever saw in real life was pointed at me by a policeman outside the Houses of Parliament about 45 mins after the London bombings on 7 July 2005. This time the cop said, “Get the fuck away from here!”
11) The first crush I ever had was on the Prince from Disney’s Sleeping Beauty when I was around six years old.
12) The second crush I ever had was on Parker Stevenson in The Hardy Boys about a year later.
13) A total stranger walked up to me once and said, “You have Kirstie Alley’s eyes!” Parker Stevenson was married to Kirstie Alley at the time.
14) I know that the Latin name for a kakapo is Strigops habroptila and that the oldest living kakapo parrot is named Richard Henry.
15) Davy Jones from The Monkees once told my mother to fuck off.
16) I believe in ghosts – up to a point – and have seen several over the years, but every single one of them has been an animal of some kind. The most nightmarish place I know on the planet is the house my aunty and uncle used to live in when I was growing up: so haunted it was once investigated by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Nobody told me this when I was a kid, probably to spare me nightmares, but I had them anyway, and to this day I still get cold sweats when I think about the place. It’s also one of the many reasons I have an irrational/rational hatred of Birmingham.
17) My biggest pet peeve in the world? People spelling actor Sam Neill’s name as Sam Neil. Although these days I’m also getting rather annoyed with people being unable to spell ‘Keira Knightley’ or ‘Jared Padalecki’ on a regular basis. (So they’re odd names – just look them up if you’re not sure, don’t guess!)
18 ) I will cry tears of joy whenever I see a baby meerkat. FACT.
19) I am fascinated by TE Lawrence, Sir Ernest Shackleton and Horatio Nelson, although I didn’t change my surname from Dearsley to Nelson in the latter’s honour; I did that because I found out on a census form from 1901 that my great-great grandfather was a Nelson.
20) I have been to Smallville, Caprica, Tollana, the Waffle Haus from Dead Like Me, the Daily Planet, Atlantis (Stargate version), Charles Xavier’s Academy for Mutants and Spook Central from Ghostbusters… but I’ve never been to me.
21) Ghostbusters was the first film I ever saw twice at the cinema, and for the entirety of the second viewing I was convinced my mother was going to kill me for spending good money on the same film twice (we were pretty hard up back then). I went home expecting a smack and instead she just went, “Would you do the washing up?” All that cold sweating for nothing…
22) I grew up without a telephone or a record player. Until I was 18 I was terrified of phones as a result (so noisy!), and I never listened to music until I was 14, at which point I discovered The Beatles. Thank God it was them and not Showaddywaddy, which was the other cassette tape given to me by a friend who couldn’t believe I’d never listened to music.
23) This is old news to some people reading this, but I became a journalist after bumping into members of SFX at a Buffy convention in May 2000 and discovering there was a vacancy on the magazine. I WILL NEVER STOP LOVING SFX FOR GIVING ME MY BIG BREAK. (Luckily, nobody from SFX ever saw me dressed up as Magenta from The Rocky Horror Show at the same convention…)
24) I am, and probably always will be, proudly single, although I’m happy to have my mind changed. I just don’t think it’s likely. And no, contrary to some people’s opinions, the fact that I never go out with anybody does NOT mean that I’m gay. If I was, I’d bloody tell you. Stop thinking I’d be *ashamed* of it. Sheesh.
25) And finally… George Clooney once gave me a sweetie. If there’s one man on this planet I would definitely marry, it’s him.