I need help.
Serious, professional help.
I can’t stop watching my X-Files DVD box sets.
Total Film gave me HMV vouchers as a leaving gift and I took the opportunity to fill in the blanks in my collection, buying seasons two and three to add to the others I already had. I stormed through season one in a week, and yesterday I watched a whopping 14 episodes from season two.
I think I’m broken now.
Random observations from re-watching the show, from the start, for the first time in years:
1) Mulder mentions Elvis a lot.
2) Scully’s hair improves considerably after Gillian Anderson had her baby.
3) Desperate Housewives’ Felicity Huffman, looking ridiculously young, gets a nasty worm in her ear in “Ice”.
4) The West Wing/Studio 60‘s Bradley Whitford has astonishingly big arm muscles in “Firewalker”.
5) Krycek. Hallooooo, nurse!
6) Mulder always falls asleep on his couch in front of a B-movie. I kind of remembered this from first viewing, but it bears mentioning again because it’s rather sweet.
7) Skinner keeps doing this pouty thing with his mouth that can only be described as a “bitch face”.
8) Remember the cable car Mulder takes up to Skyland Mountain in “Ascension”? The one he ends up dangling from? I’ve been on that! In reality, it carries you up to Grouse Mountain with a spectacular view of Vancouver. Glad Krycek wasn’t at the controls during my trip, though.
9) The early ’90s were full of men and women wearing round, Harry Potter-style glasses.
10) I’m getting dizzy playing “spot the actor”. The X-Files is littered with guest stars from Stargate, The Dead Zone, Dead Like Me, Battlestar Galactica, Supernatural, Smallville and a million other shows shot in Hollywood North or Toronto. It’s unbelievably distracting… “Hey, look, the shrink Scully’s pouring her heart out to is Delores from Dead Like Me! That nurse who just got attacked by a ghost is Doctor Frasier from Stargate! And the brother-in-law of the reincarnated bank robber in “Born Again” is Callum Keith Rennie, the second Ray Vecchio from Due South, and he’s also a Cylon in Battlestar Galactica and the forest ranger guy from the second episode of Supernatural and he played Shalimar’s boyfriend in Mutant X and Dana’s ex-squeeze in The Dead Zone and he also plays a gravedigger in season two of The X-Files because they obviously decided he was too good to just use once, and then there’s that woman who…”
Kill me now.